AUTHORITY TO ACT
Riverina Water County Council is constituted under the Local Government Act 1993.Riverina Water County Council is governed by a body of nine Councillors. Council members consist of 5 elected members from Wagga Wagga City Council and one each from Lockhart and Urana Shire Councils, and two from Greater Hume Shire Council meetings are held at 1.30pm on the fourth Wednesday of February, April, June, August, October & December (Bi-monthly), in the Council Meeting Room.
The role of Councillors, as members of the body politic, is to:
• Provide a civic leadership role in guiding the development of the Business Strategic Plan for Council.
• Direct and control the affairs of the Council in accordance with the Local Government Act and other applicable legislation.
• To participate in the allocation of Council's resources for the benefit of the area.
• To play a key role in the creation and review of Council's policies, objectives and criteria relating to the exercise of the Council's regulatory functions.
• To review and monitor the performance of Council and its delivery of services, delivery and operational plans and revenue policies.
The role of the Chairperson is to:
- Exercise in cases of necessity, the policy making function of the governing body of the Council between meetings of the Council.
- To exercise such other functions of the Council as the Council determines.
- To preside at meetings of the Council.
- To carry out the civic and ceremonial functions of the Office.
- The General Manager is the principal officer of Riverina Water County Council.
- The General Manager is generally responsible for the efficient and effective operation of the organisation and for ensuring the implementation, without undue delay, of decisions of the council. The General Manager has the following particular functions:
- To assist the Council in connection with the development and implementation of the Strategic Business Plan and the Council's resourcing strategy, the delivery program and operational plan and the preparation of its annual report.
- The day-to-day management of the Council.
- To exercise such of the functions of the Council as are delegated by the Council to the General Manager.
- To appoint staff in accordance with an organisation structure and resources approved by the Council.
- To direct and dismiss staff.
- To implement the Council's equal employment opportunity management plan.
- Other functions as may be conferred or imposed on the General Manager by or under the Local Government Act or any other Act.
The following diagram shows Riverina Water's organisational structure: